Monday, January 24, 2011

Vegan on the Road: Day 24

Hello Cyberworld!

Apologies for a brief absence; sometimes one's day job interferes with the most noblest of efforts to keep an audience informed!

So here I sit, moving into week 4 of the Vegan Experiment, and I can honestly attest to that fact that going vegan is no small feat. I thought I'd briefly outline some of the positives and negatives thus far of this challenge:

Pro:
I have lost weight. Who doesn't like to lose a few pounds? (Okay, maybe some of you are the sort that are "trying to gain weight", but the masses don't really want to hear it.)

Con:
My hair has gotten drier. No, this is definitely my fault, as I don't believe I am eating enough fat, which everyone needs. It is just that broccoli does not have the same amount of fat as a hunk of cheese...who would have guessed?! Seriously, though, vegans have to be just as mindful of a balanced diet as carnivores.

Pro:
I've felt "cleaner." That sounds kind of Southern California of me (no offense, SoCal!), but I notice I feel lighter and get fuller faster.

Con:
Despite how quickly I have been filling up when eating, I am hungry more often (probably due to a lower amount of protein I am consuming.) With a hectic schedule, this can be troublesome, and my stomach goes from satiated to snarling for more food in only a couple of hours.

Pro:
The "kinder" approach to eating has inspired a desire to "go green," and I've become more mindful of what I am purchasing at stores and where the products come from.

Con:
I've definitely taken my "Go Green" cloth grocery bags from Whole Foods for use at the local Publix discount grocery in the name of the environment. I have not yet decided if this is truly faux pas yet, but it has evoked some eye rolls from the checkout attendants.

Pro:
I'm not eating cheese.

Con:
I'm not eating cheese.

All in all, for my remaining week of veganism, I am going to try to be a bit more balanced. I still need fat and protein in my diet - leafy greens and rice will not cut it. Thankfully, I have a talented chef of a boyfriend, and he has perfected some amazing vegan dishes. For now, the jury is still out on whether my vegan act will inspire an ongoing lifestyle change. However, I'm pretty sure whichever way I swing, I will be bringing those Whole Food bags with me.

1 comment:

  1. avocadoooooooooooooooooo for yum fats. little salt and lime juice makes it a tasty snack

    ReplyDelete