Saturday, January 1, 2011

Day 1: Uh, What in the World Do Vegans Eat for Breakfast?

After bidding farewell to 2010 with a grueling workout at the gym (including 52 reps of each strength training move - one rep for each week of fabulousness that 2011 will bring), I woke up this morning ravenous. In 2010, I would immediately go to the kitchen, grab some egg beaters, toast an English muffin, and slap on a piece of cheese, composing a sloppy Egg McMuffin sort of situation.

That was so last year. This morning, I obviously knew I would not be able to partake in the egg or cheese aspect of my usual concoction, but I was not aware that English muffins are made with milk! Daunted and not unafraid, I began looking through the refrigerator for something that would not, in Meal 1/Day 1, immediately ruin my intention to go Vegan in the month of January.

Hmm... the leftovers of pecan-crusted salmon from the delicious meal my boyfriend cooked me last night were unfortunately not an option. Brie seemed to be calling my name, but I reluctantly plugged my ears. Even the frozen pizza in the freezer felt like it was trying to seduce me! I began to feel like my only breakfast option would be to gulp hot sauce down and call it a meal.

Then, blessing of blessings, I recalled I'd purchase mini-bagels a few days earlier. I quickly scanned the ingredients - no milk, no dairy, no eggs! Hallelujah! Clearly, I could not enjoy these toasted little wonders with cream cheese, but I slathered some peanut butter on them and can honestly say I was equally as satisfied with the "vegan" alternative.

I guess the moral of the story for day one is that going vegan is going to take some planning...and some substituting. The good news this morning is the hot sauce remained untouched.

1 comment: