Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 3: Vegan on the Road: Part 1

Traveling, though I love it, is challenging. I have been in airports nearly every week for the last six years, and finding healthy choices of food in airport restaurants, even as a vegetarian (well, hey, I did eat fish) has been difficult. Today, as I sit in the Fort Lauderdale airport and look at my options, finding something for dinner is nearly impossible, but not for lack of trying.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am working on a more casual approach to admitting my veganism when in a social setting. I asked my waitress what non-meat options might be available, and she suggested the "Tropical Turkey Sandwich" or the "Chicken Mojito Sandwich," which quickly told me that this was going to be even more difficult than I expected. Also, not for nothing, can you even imagine how painful it is to have a table situated in front of the chippies rack, as an ex-Doritos addict?

In any event, I have this new idea, should the TSA allow it, that I am going to carry around baggies of "in case of emergency" snacks/meals. I mean, I don't think a snack baggie of carrots and broccoli are very controversial, nor do I think anyone will really raise an eyebrow if I tried to pack a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (vegan-friendly, as long as you choose the right bread - yes!!)

For tonight, however, dinner will clearly be mixed nuts for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment