Sunday, January 2, 2011

Day 2: Who Stole My Cheese?

Day 2 of the Vegan Experiment is underway. My Top Chef-caliber boyfriend made me a delicious vegan lunch of dirty rice and sauteed vegetables with black beans, seasoned to perfection. Then, I survived dinner out at a local Italian restaurant,
which was an overall enjoyable evening out, despite not being able to indulge in my beloved Parmesan cheese. A couple of observation in my first day "out of the closet" as a Vegan.

1.) Veganism, to some people, is a four-letter word. Unlike people who tell others that they don't eat bread or those who claim to avoid red meat, admitting that you follow a vegan diet seems to be followed with the inevitable "why are you a vegan?", an inquiry seemed served up with a side of fear the person will answer "I love animals." I do, in fact, love animals, but that is not the reason for the Vegan experiment. I am attempting a cleaner diet for my health. I will continue to update the cyberworld on the societal response I experience as a, gulp, Vegan.

2.) Ordering at restaurants becomes surprisingly easier...and more difficult. After scanning the menu, I recognized that there were a limited number of items I could order, making my dinner selection much narrower and simple. However, I must admit that my eyes lingered a little two long over the Caprese salad and seafood fettuccine options on the menu. Not out of character for me, I gave our waiter a couple of simple requests to "jazz up" my selection. (See tip below)

3.) Don't be afraid to ask. Working in a job that requires constant travel, I've realized that people in the service industry are actually extremely helpful and willing to accommodate, assuming you show your gratitude to them. Often times, at the hotel I stay at, I will be craving something not listed on the menu (say, steamed vegetables and rice). Generally, the staff has been willing to provide this, and I go out of my way to thank the chef, the server, etc. (This does not have to be extra gratuity -although I am sure it would be welcomed. You may be surprised at how many people forget to say "thank you.") I will definitely be relying on this kindness this week, as I hit the road for the first time as a Vegan.

4.) Fridge full of cheese? Exploit your non-vegan friends. Yesterday, my boyfriend did me the "favor" of eating the remainder of cottage cheese. If you are like me, you may still have (well, a ton of) cheese still in the refrigerator. Well, take that leftover dairy and that extra bottle of champagne from New Years and host a little Hump-day happy hour at your place this week. Just be sure to include some vegan-friendly appetizers for yourself to avoid the seductive stare of that hunk of brie.

5.) The Freezer section is not off-limits. I hate to admit it, but I have had an on-again, off-again affair with the freezer section (uh, some of those frozen pizzas on the market are just too good to resist, and I've definitely warned people to Lego my Eggos!) However, I discovered that Amy's brand creates an amazing Tofu Scramble wrap (available in most grocery stores in the freezer section) that mimics eggs for breakfast, which I found actually tastier than many egg dishes I've had in the past. Actually, I've tried many of the Amy's brand dishes (many of which are vegan) even before this experiment, and I have yet to be disappointed.


Tip: Some foods, like traditional pasta with Marinara sauce, can seem really bland without the hefty pile of Parmesan cheese many of us our used to topping the dish with. I asked the waiter to amp up the taste factor by making my sauce "Fra Diablo" - essentially, spicy Marinara sauce. Upping the spice factor sort of "fed two birds with one hand." Not only did the extra spice improve the tastiness factor, but I ate about a third of what I normally would have and was completely satisfied.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment