Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 4: Vegan on the Road: Part 2

My first day back at work after the holidays was bound to be a busy one. I rushed out of my hotel towards the office without so much as a second thought about breakfast. Lunch was a hummus and pita with celery (yes, mom, I actually ATE celery.) For dinner, I am going to order miso soup, edamame and veggie rolls from a local restaurant. But enough about food...

Let's talk for a minute about habits. We all have them. Some habits are good, some habits are not so good, and some habits you just really should never share with people. One of my (probably not so good) habits is chewing gum. Hey, not so great, but fresh breath is a priority! In any case, I was chatting with one of my coworkers from Texas (side note: I believe veganism might actually be against the law in Texas), and he mentioned that many chewing gum brands are made from animal products. Specifically, the ominous "gum base" can be made from glycerin, which is often times animal-derived. Yuck! All this time, I thought I was chewing a piece of Merry Mint medley and never once considered it would contain animal!

Thankfully, some chewing gum manufacturers use vegetarian glycerine (such as Wrigleys), but many do not. I guess I'll be stocking up on the Juicy Fruit! Lesson learned - veganism clearly requires an thorough examination of anything you put in your mouth (a good thing), and you may have to part with certain beloved habits (a not so good thing), but I am beginning to feel like a kinder person because of this (a very good thing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment