Thursday, March 18, 2010

Perspective

In a self-absorbed haze, I sat outside of a lovely hotel in Baltimore last night, anxiously reviewing my professional tasks at hand, reviewing the documents I needed to create for an early morning meeting I had scheduled. A gentleman, sitting relaxingly and very near in proximity to me, calmly puffed on his cigar, and gently observing my anxious texts to my boyfriend, who was otherwise obligated.

In the instant we all dread that strangers will want to start a conversation with me, the well-dressed man in the suit with carefully selected cuff links initiated a dialog with me. (Here I will include a disclaimer...the people that know me well know that strangers feel pretty quickly that I am their confessor, that their deepest, darkest secrets are somehow alright to be shared with a complete stranger.) This man, who I shall call "G", was to be no exception. Except, G was different. G is HIV positive.

This man slowly unfolded his story. Here are is the overview, in bulleted, project management format:
  • He is heterosexual
  • He was not informed by his partner that she was HIV positive, but he now knows she knew, because the initial round of drugs they gave him was ineffective. The only way that they would be ineffective if his partner knew and was receiving drug treatment
  • He pays for his treatment completely out of pocket.
  • He is an extremely intelligent individual.
  • He is actively seeking love. He discloses to any prospective lovers the state of his disease. He has perpetual fears that he will infect a HIV-negative partners, even having safe sex.
  • He was never promiscuous. He was monogamous with all of his partners.
  • He is extremely intelligent - he works for a huge finance firm in a high powered position.
  • He is lonely. He has seen many friends in his condition die. He is worried that he will die alone.

What did our conversation do for me? It brought life into perspective. G is an inspiration. Keep his story in your mind, and his health in your prayers. I'm blessed to have "endured" a conversation with this amazing person, and wish you all the same good fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment